I am interested in the variability of growth and the relationship between growth and survival. Growth rates are highly variable between and within species and can impact fitness. Ecological selection pressures (e.g. predation rates, food availability and climate) and development mode (altricial [parent-fed] or precocial [self-fed]) can influence growth by varying energetic costs and the functional requirements of body components at hatching and throughout the rearing period. Body components (such as: mass, bill, flippers (or wings), feet, and feathers) do not grow at the same rates, and some components mature before others. This differential growth suggests certain body components are favored over others at various times during development and can give us insight as to when they are most essential during a species’ life and why.
- Boersma D, P Garcia Borgoroglu, E Frere, OJ Kane, LM Pozzi, K Putz, A Raya Rey, GA Rebstock, A Simeone, J Smith, P Yorio, and A Van Buren. 2013. Magellanic Penguins (Spheniscus magellanicus). In Garcia Borboroglu, P. and P. D. Boersma (eds.), Penguins: Natural History and Conservation. University of Washington Press, Seattle.
- Kane OJ, M Uhart, V Rago, A Pereda, J Smith, A Van Buren, J Clark, PD Boersma. 2012. Avian Pox in Magellanic Penguins (Spheniscus magellanicus). Journal of Wildlife Disease 48: 790-794.
- Frias JE, MN Gil, JL Esteves, PG Borboroglu, OJ Kane, JR Smith, and PD Boersma. 2012. Mercury levels in feathers of Magellanic penguins. Marine Pollution Bulletin 64: 1265-1269.
- Kane OJ and PD Boersma. 2012. Review of: Penguin-Pedia: Photographs and Facts from One Man’s Search for the Penguins of the World. David Salomon. Brown Books Publishing Group, Dallas, TX, USA. In Waterbirds 35: 176-177.
- Kane OJ, J Smith, PD Boersma, N Parsons, V Strauss, P Garcia-Borboroglu, and C Villanueva. 2010. Feather-loss Disorder in African and Magellanic Penguins. Waterbirds 33: 415-421.
- Wagoner J, A Negash, S Polyak, OJ Kane, L Martinez, Y Nahmias, N Bourne, D Owen, J Grove, C Brimacombe, J McKeating, E Pecheur, T Graf, N Oberlies, V Lohmann, F Cao, and J Tavis. 2010. Multiple Effects of Silymarin on the Hepatitis C Virus Lifecycle. Hepatology 51: 1912-1921.
- Koo BCA, P McPoland, J Wagoner, OJ Kane, V Lohmann, and S Polyak. 2006. Relationships between hepatitis C virus replication and CXCL-8 production in vitro. Journal of Virology 80: 7885-7893.